A Royal Night Out

Thursday 4th June 2015

Director: Julian Jarrold
Year: 2015
Stars: Sarah Gadon, Jack Reynor, Bel Powley, Emily Watson, Rupert Everett

The only film I've seen in the last month (look, I've been, umm, busy, OK?!), I quite enjoyed A Royal Night Out. Admittedly, I probably enjoyed it mostly because I went to baby cinema to watch it. I haven't been to baby cinema since I went with my son about two years ago, and, for the majority of the film, my daughter loved watching the screen. She's 4 months old and already a bigger TV fan than her big brother. Which makes me happy, 'cause I can watch a movie with her!

A Royal Night Out has a fairly simple plot (always a good thing when you're with a baby). It's VE Day, and the then young Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II), wants a night out. She gets what she wants, and all kinds of antics ensure. She and her sister Margaret get lost, separated, end up buses with no money... y'know, all the kind of stuff you'd never do if you were a royal and had somebody looking after you 24/7.

No, it's not complicated - but it is simple and fun. Which I was more than happy with at the time.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.