The Impossible

Sunday 3rd May 2015

Director: J.A. Bayona
Year: 2012
Stars: Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, Tom Holland, Samuel Joslin, Oaklee Penderghast

Don't watch this film if you're after something cheerful. Whether or not it ends well, it's a difficult movie to watch. It's possibly not the movie we should have picked to watch with our only free evening in some time - but at least it was good.

The Impossible tells the story of a family of five who were on holiday in Thailand when the tsunami hit in 2004. The title is probably something of a clue as to how the movie ends - but it's the journey the family take to get there that the film focuses on.

This probably isn't a movie that could have been made much sooner than it was - in many ways the tsunami and it's after-effects still feel very recent. But it is a well-told, respectful movie, and does do the subject justice.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.