The Avengers

Friday 13th February 2015

Director: Joss Whedon
Year: 2012
Stars: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders, Stellan Skarsgard, Gwyneth Paltrow

I wasn't expecting a massive amount from this movie - I knew it was an action adventure hero movie, incorporating a bunch of characters that have previously had their own movies and are associated with Marvel comics (The Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow...). Having seen very few of the previous movies (I think I saw Thor?), I also wasn't sure how likely I was to get what was going on.

The movie pretty much met my expectations - in some ways it may even have exceeded them. The Avengers is what you would expect from a hero action movie, but it gets the tone right and does have a semi-decent plot. It's at least believable in the world it's set in. Loki (Thor's brother, played by Hiddleston) wants to rid the world of free will, and Agent S.H.I.E.L.D therefore decide to gather together the aforementioned group of Avengers to stop him in his tracks. Of course, Loki may have been planning for them to do this all along...

The film is happy to poke fun at itself and the genre - if, like me, you find yourself thinking 'this always happens in action hero movies and it's silly', you'll almost certainly be faced with a joke picking up on that very point, just as you're thinking it. Perhaps some people may hate that, but it did endear me to the movie a little bit more. If you like superhero action movies, you won't be disappointed.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.