American Reunion

Saturday 7th February 2015

Director: Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg
Year: 2012
Stars: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Seann William Scott, Mena Suvari, Eddie Kaye Thomas, John Cho, Jennifer Coolidge, Eugene Levy

This could have been so awful. Luckily, the filmmakers don't try to simply recreate American Pie. Instead, they treat it like it's ten years later, and like their main actors have grown up and become 30-somethings. Which they have. That's not to say there isn't still silly, gross-out humour, but it never feels out of place.

American Reunion focuses on exactly what the title says - the original American Pie characters come back together for a reunion after 10+ years. Queue lots of awkward meet-ups, reunions with old friends and lies about what you're now doing with your (probably rather unremarkable) life. Just like a real reunion (I imagine; thankfully I've not yet ended up having to attend one...).

The beauty of American Reunion, much like American Pie, is that it ends up in some ridiculous places - but you never really end up questioning how it got there. Somehow, in the context of the movie, it all makes sense. If you enjoyed American Pie when it was released, and like it's characters, are now 15 years older and in your thirties, you'll likely enjoy this - and, to some extent, identify with it.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.