All Good Things

Friday 20th February 2015

Director: Andrew Jarecki
Year: 2010
Stars: Ryan Gosling, Kirsten Dunst, Frank Langella, Lily Rabe, Philip Baker Hall

Well, this was odd - and perhaps not exactly what I was expecting. I still don't know how much I enjoyed it. I hadn't really heard of the movie before, but it sounded interesting when I saw it was on TV, so decided to give it a try. It turns out that the reason I hadn't heard of the movie was because, even though it has some big names in it, it was never really promoted upon its release, and got a very narrow arts-house release.

Upon watching it, it's not hard to see the reasons for the lack of promotion. It's a tough movie to market. It tells the story of David Marks (Gosling), and his relationship with his father (Langella) and his wife (Dunst). It's apparently 'the most notorious unresolved murder cases in New York history' (according to the movie blurb; I had never heard of it so who knows whether or not this is true) - but this is the part of the problem. The murder case is unresolved, meaning there's no closure in the movie. Now, it's clear that the movie thinks it knows what happened, but it leaves a lot of questions in its wake. Not least of which is 'is this what really happened? How much has this movie made up?!'

Overall, the individual performances aren't bad. Individual elements of the script aren't bad. I even spent chunks of the film being quite intrigued and wondering what would happen next. But somehow All Good Things isn't quite the sum of its parts. I can't really recommend it - it's mostly likely to leave you feeling frustrated and confused - not to mention wanting answers you won't get.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.