Frozen

Saturday 31st January 2015

Director: Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee
Year: 2013
Stars: Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, Santino Fontana, Alan Tudyk (voices)

Considering how popular Frozen is, when a friend mentioned she had this on DVD I figured I should probably ask to borrow it as I still hadn't watched it. She more than happily gave up the DVD, informing me that they had already told their obsessed 2-year-old that it had been lost.

I did actually have the chance to watch this back at Christmas 2013 when it was released (on one of those rare occasions when I actually had the chance to go to the cinema). At the time I chose to go and see Saving Mr Banks, having read reviews and thinking it would be a better movie.

I made the right choice. Frozen does not start well - and I still don't really understand what there is in it for a 2-year-old boy to love (and yes, I do have one). An 8-year-old girl, maybe. There are some very pretty princesses here (oh, maybe that explains it. Two-year-old boys often love princess dresses...). The premise behind Frozen is that one of the princesses can turn everything to snow and ice, but can't control her ability. Queue lots and lots of songs (especially in the first half an hour) and a fair bit of angst.

In fairness, Frozen does improve once the characters stop singing annoying pop songs and the story kicks in properly. There are even some funny moments. Don't get me wrong, I love a good musical. Just not at the expense of any semblance of a story.

In the end, I found Frozen relatively enjoyable, but the first 40 minutes boring me to tears didn't help. Although these are the songs all the kids love, so maybe Disney haven't got it wrong. After all, they're not really trying to appeal to me - although I am the one going out and buying the DVD I guess... (being that my 2-year old can barely sit still and watch an episode of In the Night Garden, which he loves, I doubt he'd care about 1 1/2 hours of Disney movie. He doesn't care for Cars and he loves anything with wheels).

Not a bad movie, but I' still glad I went to see Saving Mr Banks at the cinema, which I really enjoyed.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.