Bad Teacher

Sunday 11th January 2015

Director: Jake Kasdan
Year: 2011
Stars: Cameron Diaz, Lucy Punch, Jason Segel, Justin Timberlake

It's taken me a while to blog about this movie - partly because I've been busy, partly because it's just not really that memorable. I have wanted to see this for a while, so made an effort to watch it when it came on TV.

Bad Teacher is all about Elizabeth Halsey (Diaz), a teacher who doesn't really want to be one. All she really wants to do is marry somebody rich and spend their money. This makes her an entirely unlikable character, which is problematic because she is very much the main character of the movie. Whilst the story is not necessarily bad, making the central character this awful makes the entire movie unlikeable.

About the only thing I did enjoy in Bad Teacher was Jason Segel's performance. He plays a cynical, but still caring, teacher, it was the only role that felt like it wasn't entirely one-dimensional. Why he would ever have shown any interest in Diaz's character, however, is beyond me.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.