The Way

Saturday 15th November 2014

Director: Emilio Estevez
Year: 2010
Stars: Martin Sheen, Yorick van Wageningen, Deborah Kara Unger, James Nesbitt, Emilio Estevez

I have wanted to see this for some time, so when I saw that it was on TV I jumped at the chance to watch it. I will admit, this is partly because I've been a big Emilio Estevez fan for some time, and I knew he had directed this. About a year ago I also got to read his autobiography, Along the Way, which I found really enjoyable. It was framed around the making of this movie, and made me even more keen to see the movie.

I'm pleased to report that I wasn't disappointed. The Way is pretty unique in many ways. It follows Tom (Sheen), as he walks the Camino de Santiago - a route of pilgrimage that his son was following when he died. As he walks The Way, Tom meets a myriad of characters each with their own story and pilgrimage to make.

The film is never too judgmental, letting you decide how you feel about the characters for yourself. It also doesn't feel like it's following any particular stereotypes. A lovely refreshing movie that didn't disappoint.

Rating: 4 out of 5


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.