September-October 2014 films


It's probably about time I wrote another review of the films I've watched in the past few months. Not only have I neglected to write a review recently, I've also neglected to write about 3 or 4 movies that I've watched since the beginning of November. So I'll start with a review of movies I watched between Sept and Oct this year, and then update this blog with some posts about additional movies I've watched in the last month or so! I had a fairly film-filled (for me, at the moment) couple of months in Sept and Oct - in total I saw 6 movies:
  • Frankenweenie (2012) - 4 out of 5
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) - 4 out of 5
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - 3.5 out of 5
  • Kung Fu Panda (2008) - 3 out of 5
  • The Ides of March (2011) - 2.5 out of 5
  • First Snow (2006) - 3 out of 5
There are quite a lot of mediocre movies here. It's only The Hunger Games and Frankenweenie that truly stand out as enjoyable. Having said that, there's nothing here that I really hated and warn people against seeing either.

Although The Hunger Games and Frankenweenie both scored a totally deserved four stars, my Film of the Months has to be Frankenweenie. It's different, interesting and memorable. To remember the plot of The Hunger Games I'd have to go and re-read my review, but no such reading is necessary with Frankenweenie. This is Tim Burton doing what he does best, and I truly enjoyed every minute of it.

The honour of Film not to waste your time on goes to The Ides of March. It's not really a bad movie as such, it just has a message that, surely, everybody knows? Yes, people are politics play dirty. It doesn't feel especially clever or idealistic to tell us that.

Film of the Months: Frankenweenie
Film not to waste your time on: The Ides of March

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.