Disney's A Christmas Carol

Wednesday 3rd December 2014

Director: Robert Zemeckis
Year: 2009
Stars: Jim Carrey, Colin Firth, Robin Wright Penn, Cary Elwes, Gary Oldman (voices)

I've seen Disney's A Christmas Carol before - and blogged about it too. What I cannot believe is that it was back in 2009, 5 years ago. I swear it was only two years ago at most. Apparently not. Sigh. Having enjoyed it quite a lot then, a couple of years ago (I guess...) I went and bought the DVD. So when I had a (very, very) rare afternoon at home to myself a few weeks before Christmas, I decided that was the perfect time to watch it again.

Upon re-reading my original review, all the points I made still stand. Everything I said then I thought when it watched it again. Yes, in many ways it's a good movie - and it places it does make you jump. Yes, having Jim Carrey play all the ghosts is odd (and the ghost of Christmas Past is still rubbish). And yes, Colin Firth still looks odd in stop motion.

The one pity with this viewing is that I wasn't watching it in 3D, because I was watching it at home. Usually that doesn't really bother me, but I know this looked lovely in 3D, and really added to the Christmas feel of the movie. That may be why it's lost half a star in this review. Or maybe I'm just getting harsh in my old age.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.