What to expect when you're expecting

Friday 27th June 2014

Director: Kirk Jones
Year: 2012
Stars: Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Elizabeth Banks, Brooklyn Decker, Anna Kendrick, Dennis Quiad, Chris Rock, Chace Crawford, Ben Falcone, Matthew Morrison

The second of two anniversary movies, this is one that I had recorded on TV a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't convinced it was going to be that good, but an easy-to-watch comedy had a certain type of appeal.

What to expect when you're expecting tells the story of five different couples going through pregnancy. A number of different types of pregnancy are covered, from miscarriage to a couple who struggle to get pregnant to the unexpected pregnancy.

Overall, this was a pleasant surprise. The women, for the most part, were likable - or at least you could understand where they were coming from. And when you couldn't, it was funny - like it was meant to be. The actual pregnancies were treated with tact as well as humour, and the awful jokes I dreaded didn't exist. The men were a little harder to like - maybe it's just because I've never been a dad, but the scenes in the park with the dads left me cold. I just couldn't connect with them.

My one final (minor) complaint is that the movie stops when the babies are born. That's just not where it ends - that's where it all begins! But then, I guess this means I cared about what happened to the characters - and I suppose it means there's an obvious sequel. Whether that's a good or bad thing is a different question...

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.