The Fault in our Stars

Friday 27th June 2014

Director: Josh Boone
Year: 2014
Stars: Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, Nat Wolff, Laura Dern, Sam Trammel, Willem Dafoe, Lotte Verbeek

As it was our anniversary today, Dan and I decided to treat ourselves. We dropped our son off at nursery as normal, then headed into town for a tasty lunch and a visit to the cinema. The cinema listings hadn't been that great, but there were a few movies we were willing to see. The Fault in our Stars looked to be one of the best (the trailer did its job of selling the film to us), and it was on at an appropriate time (we had to be back at nursery by 5.30pm).

The story sounds like a relatively familiar one - two teenagers fall in love, but they are both having to live with cancer. As is often the case, whilst the trailer did a good job of selling the movie to us, it also enabled us to guess the ending.

I'm sad to say that we were right about the ending. And that's mostly because there was nothing new or inventive here. I've seen this movie before, in one guise or another, so, so many times. Whilst hubby claimed he felt sad in all the right places, I didn't have any such concerns. Maybe I'm heartless, but this was so close to the run-of-the-mill plot that Hollywood chucks out that it just all felt made up to me.

I can't really recommend this. If you haven't seen this sort of movie much before it's perfectly enjoyable, but in this case, once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.