My Sister's Keeper

Tuesday 29th July 2014

Director: Nick Cassavettes
Year: 2009
Stars: Abigail Breslin, Sofia Vassilieva, Cameron Diaz, Alec Baldwin, Evan Ellingson, Jason Patric, Heather Wahlquist

This has been sat waiting to be watched for ages. Not because I didn't want to see it, but because I knew it was going to be depressing and had spent the last few weeks wanting to watch happy movies. But My Sister's Keeper was the last movie to be watched on our previously very long list of recorded movies, so I figured it was time I watched it.

The story is about a girl (Anna Fitzgerald, played by Abigail Breslin) who was conceived in order to save her sister's life - a sister who is suffering from cancer. The film focuses on Anna's desire to be medically emancipated from her parents, because she no longer wants to give away her body parts to her sister.

The film poses a number of interesting moral dilemmas, but revelations later in the film feel, to some extent, like a cop-out. Instead of forcing you to make a decision about how you feel and what you believe, it offers an easy get-out clause. The revelations work for the sake of the story, but don't give the movie the moral depth it might otherwise have had. Having said all that, My Sister's Keeper is an interesting, if incredibly sad, story. It's definitely worth a watch - just don't expect a cheery ending (or beginning, or middle).

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.