Brighton Rock

Saturday 14 June 2014

Director: Rowan Joffe
Year: 2010
Stars: Sam Riley, Andrea Riseborough, Helen Mirren, John Hurt, Philip Davis

OK, so it's been a while since I watched a movie (with the exception of watching Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1, which we saw on holiday. But I've seen, and blogged, about that before, and my opinion hasn't really changed)... I've just had a quick glance at this blog and the last movie I saw was Drive, back in early May. I guess I have been busy since then - trips to Exeter to see family, and a week on the Isles of Scilly have all contributed, but I didn't realise it had been quite that long.

So it's a shame that the movie I did watch was Brighton Rock (the re-make, not the original) - which was really rather rubbish. The characters felt like they had no motivation other than to move the story along, the plot was mostly daft, and what was the point of those mods and rockers scenes? It felt as if they were just crammed in there to make the whole thing look good.

Brighton Rock tells the tale of Pinkie (riley), a boy working for the mob who decides to take over the gang when his boss dies. For various reasons, he ends up meeting Rose (Riseborough) and marrying her. Rose has to be the most frustrating, unmotivated, unbelievable character in the whole movie. And that's in a movie full of unbelievable characters.

Now, both my hubby and I were convinced we had watched the original Brighton Rock, and that it was much better. I don't know what he was thinking about, but I think I was actually thinking of Quadrophenia. Perhaps it was the whole mods and rockers connection. I sincerely hope the original Brighton Rock is better (along with the Graham Greene novel it is based on); I might still give it a try just out of sheer stupid curiosity. But overall, you're probably a lot better off watching Quadrophenia.

Rating: 1 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.