The Three Musketeers

Sunday 13th April 2014

Director: Paul W.S Anderson
Year: 2011
Stars: Matthew Macfadyen, Milla Jovovich, Luke Evans, Ray Stephenson, Orlando Bloom, Logan Lerman, Mads Mikkelsen

Having seen that this was on TV, I had a mild interest in watching it (I'll admit, that interest was mostly fuelled by the fact that Orlando Bloom was in it). Finding myself sat alone in a B&B for the night, waiting for a conference to begin the next day, I figured I might as well watch it.

Now, the viewing experience probably wasn't helped by the relatively small TV, made all the smaller because I was sat some way away from it. Or the fact that everything felt a bit distant because I'd been travelling all day and was tired. But The Three Musketeers was just, well, dull. I had a tough time bothering to pay that much attention to the movie because it was boring. And 2 1/2 hours long. Which made it more boring.

I'm not even sure I can give a decent account of the plot, such as it was, here. It meandered somewhat, and was basically just the usual 'bad stuff happens-The Three Musketeers find out about it-there's lots of fighting-bad stuff is solved' plot. There's really nothing new here at all. I'm not entirely sure why the film was made at all.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.