Stand by Me

Sunday 30th March 2014

Director: Rob Reiner
Year: 1986
Stars: Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell, Kiefer Sutherland

I've seen this movie before. Lots. And I love it. But it was my birthday, so the movie was my choice. And I chose the perfect Sunday afternoon movie, which I haven't seen for ages.

And it's still great. Adapted from the Stephen King novel The Body, it tells the story of four boys who go hunting for a dead body - and about all the trials they face along the way (trains on the line, leeches, killer dogs, friendships...). It's a story about the journey, not the destination. And what a journey it is.

Time hasn't done anything to harm this movie, and every time I watch it I love it that little bit more. A perfect slice of Sunday afternoon nostalgia - whether you were born in the 60s, the 80s or the 90s.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.