A History of Violence

Saturday 22nd March 2014

Director: David Cronenberg
Year: 2005
Stars: Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, Ed Harris, William Hurt, Ashton Holmes

This is another movie that I've wanted to watch for some time, so was excited when I finally managed to notice it was on TV, record it and find time to watch it!

A History of Violence isn't a bad movie, but I'm still not sure exactly what I think of it. Viggo Mortensen plays Tom Stall, a man who stops two criminals from robbing his diner and harming his staff. It transpires that Tom may, or may, not have been a violent criminal in the past.

The plot of A History of Violence manages to go in a totally different direction to the one you expect, whilst at the same time ending up exactly where you thought it would. Somehow, it feels as if something is missing - there is a lot of story here that seems to be hinted at, but is never truly explored. Now, the running time of this movie is fairly tight (that, at least, makes a nice change) so either a lot of movie got cut in the editing room, or I'm just reading more into this whole experience than I should be.

Not a bad movie overall, but one that, I suspect, I'm not going to have a brilliant memory of in a month or so's time.

Rating: 3 out of 5

Postscript: I have actually seen this before. It was one of the very first movies I reviewed on this blog, back in December 2008.I had a similar opinion about it then, although perhaps this review gives better reasoning. Either way, I guess it can't be that memorable a movie!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.