Beginners

Monday 3rd March 2014

Director: Mike Mills
Year: 2010
Stars: Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, Melanie Laurent, Goran Visnjic

Similarly to Once, Beginners is a movie which feels as if it has little direction. In direct contrast to Once, Beginners feels like its meant to have direction and a purpose, but the filmmakers haven't quite figured out what this is. Or been able to translate this into something an audience can figure out.

There's a lot of attempts at meaning here - attempting to explain sadness, attempting to say something about being gay (I'm not quite sure what), attempting to discuss death and depression... but none of its very successful, and all of it feels quite frustrating.

I can't even say I can appreciate what Beginners was trying to do, because I really don't know what that was. About the nicest thing I can say is that there's nothing wrong with the acting - but I'm not sure why they're acting what they're acting.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.