February 2014 films

We've been making an attempt to watch all the movies we've recorded in the last year or so over the previous month - mostly because we want to get a cheaper TV deal and if we do that, we'll lose all the movies we've recorded. Which has meant (probably positively) that we've watched more movies this month than we normally do.
  • Once (2006) - 3 stars
  • Stakeland (2010) - 3.5 stars
  • Mirror Mirror (2012) - 4 stars
  • Did you hear about the Morgans? (2009) - 2 stars
  • Senna (2010) - 4 stars
  • Bad Education (2004) - 4 stars
  • Jane Eyre (2011) - 3 stars
  • The Awakening (2011) - 3.5 stars
On the whole, this month has been pretty average. I haven't watched many dire movies, but nor have I watched anything stand-out brilliant. Looking at the above list, there are few movies that I have any particular desire to watch again.

All this does make Movie of the Month pretty hard. There are three 4-star movies - Mirror Mirror, Bad Education and Senna. As far as I can tell most critics and reviewers hated Mirror Mirror, but I still loved it. It was just such an easy watch. Senna was also well told, and although the ending was odd, I can hardly blame that on the filmmakers. I think my Film of the Month is going to go to Bad Education though, for being the film I perhaps expected to like least out of the three, and the one that surprised me most with its uniqueness and mysteriousness.

Film not to waste your time on is much easier. Whilst many of this months movies received average 3-star reviews, only one got a lower rating - and that was Did you hear about the Morgans? And it fully deserves the review I gave it. Time has not made me feel any more positive about this movie, and when I think back on them, the characters annoy me even more than when I first watched the film. I wonder if I can retrospectively lower a star rating for characters that still grate, 3 weeks after watching a movie...?

Film of the Month: Bad Education
Film not to waste your time on: Did you hear about the Morgans?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.