Mirror Mirror

Wednesday 19th February 2014

Director: Tarsem Singh Dhandwar
Year: 2012
Stars: Julia Roberts, Lily Collins, Armie Hammer, Nathan Lane

When I saw this was on TV, I was really, really keen to watch it. Unfortunately I was busy doing something else at the time, so I recorded it to watch later. Since then, it's been sitting there staring at me quietly saying "You know you really want to watch me. You know you haven't really got time". So when I was off work sick for the day, and this looked like the happiest, cheeriest movie on the list, I figured it was time to listen to the first half of that quiet voice.

And I'm glad I did. I really, really enjoyed Mirror Mirror. It's the story of Snow White, but with a contemporary twist. The dwarves have names like Napoleon and Grimm, Snow White refuses to be the one getting rescued, and the Prince gets fed a potion of puppy love. Somehow the movie still manages to remain true enough to the spirit of Snow White so that, if you're a traditionalist, you're probably not going to be too annoyed.

One final thing worth mentioning - Julia Roberts makes an excellent Wicked Queen.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.