Did you hear about the Morgans?

Monday 10th February 2014

Director: Marc Lawrence
Year: 2009
Stars: Hugh Grant, Sarah Jessica-Parker, Natalia Klimas, Vincenzo Amato, Jesse Liebman, Elisabeth Moss

This was something of a disappointment - to both me and my husband, who had massively different expectations when we started watching it. I was fully prepared for an ordinary run-of-the-mill rom com, with bad jokes, sweet (sometimes sickening) scenes, best friends and lots of angst. My husband was expecting something much closer to Date Night, with its case of mistaken identity and running away from the bad guys.

Did you hear about the Morgans? has no mistaken identity issues, but it is all about running away from the bad guys after the lead (separated) couple (Grant and Jessica-Parker) witness a murder. They are taken into protective custody and sent to Wyoming. Queue lots of dire 'New Yorker in the sticks' jokes.

The problem with all of this is that it's much, much worse than Date Night. The movie just doesn't know what it wants to be, and falls completely flat. Hugh Grant plays his normal self, but instead of this coming across as charming (think About a Boy, Four Weddings and a Funeral) it's just annoying- mostly due to the terrible script. The romantic elements are horrendously nauseating (worse than most normal rom coms), and the jokes, on the whole, just aren't funny. Which, overall, simply makes for a really boring (and predictable) movie.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.