Stake Land

Friday 21st February 2014

Director: Jim Mickle
Year: 2010
Stars: Connor Paolo, Nick Damici, Kelly McGillis, Danielle Harris, Michael Cerveris,

A bit of a change from Mirror Mirror, this was the last horror movie we had left to watch in our ever-depleting list of recorded movies (I believe we're now down to five so we're making good progress).

I didn't know anything about Stakeland until I saw it advertised last Halloween, and it sounded like an interesting horror movie. Besides, it was about vampires, so right up my street. Well, it's sort of about vampires... the creatures in Stakeland are refered to as vampires, but in reality they seem to be a cross between vampires and zombies. You need to stake them to kill them, but they look a lot more like zombies. We never really find out whether being attacked by one causes you turn into a zombie or not, but that seems to be intentional.

The film is all about Martin (Paolo), and what happens to him when his family are all killed. It's something of a slow burner, but draws you right in. You'll either love or hate the ending - I understand exactly why it has the ending it does, but I'm not sure it's the one I wanted.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.