Watchmen

Sunday 3 November 2013

Director: Zack Snyder
Year: 2009
Stars: Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Jackie Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Patrick Wilson, Carla Gugino

I did not feel well this week. Which may go some way towards explaining why I chose to watch a 3-hour comic hero movie that had been sitting, not watched, since 2011.

It actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting. My other half had watched it some months ago when he was ill (I know this because I saw him watching), but he has no memory at all of this event. Which either suggests he was completely out of it when watching it, or the movie is entirely unmemorable.

Watchmen (slowly, in its own sweet time) tells the history of a group of superheroes who have now disbanded, and how they are brought back together in various ways to investigate the killing of one of their old gang.

I perhaps wouldn't go as far as to say this is totally unmemorable, but it is horribly flabby. It just doesn't need to be 3 hours long. There are a bunch of sub-plots and half-explored plots, and all they really do is serve to infuriate. If the central story had been stuck to, but some of the style kept, this could have been a taut, enjoyable 2 hour (max) movie. Unfortunately, it's not.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.