The Kids Are All Right

Wednesday 31st July 2013

Director: Lisa Cholodenko
Year: 2010
Stars: Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Mark Ruffalo, Mia Wasikowska, Josh Hutcherson

I watched this movie almost a month ago now, and I have to admit that I don't remember loads about it. I can remember broad strokes, and being vaguely infuriated by the characterisation (particularly of the two gay women, who are treated very much in the way a Hollywood that thinks it's open-minded might treat gay characters).

The basic premise is that two children who were conceived using artificial insemination, and have been brought up by two gay women, go in search of their biological father. The subtext of The Kids Are All Right seems to be that nobody can cope when a man walks into their lives. I guess you could read this the opposite way, in that having a man in your life messes it up, but I'm pretty sure that's not the message the film was trying to convey.

In all honesty, I don't think the film was really trying to convey any message - it was just failing to create the funny comedy it wanted to be. It also failed to show any real insight into a non-nuclear family along the way.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.