Date Night

 Saturday 15th June 2013

Director: Shawn Levy
Year: 2010
Stars: Steve Carrell, Tina Fey

Right, I've been totally rubbish at updating this blog for the past month or so, so get ready for a plethora of posts! I'll try to make sure they don't all appear on the same day...

The first of the movies I've seen in the past month and don't-really-remember-that-well is Date Night. Although actually, this one I remember better than others - mostly because it was a lot better than I was expecting to be. I started watching it knowing I generally hate Steve Carrell and most movies he's in, so not expecting much.

In Date Night, Phil and Claire Foster (Carrell and Fey) are a normal suburban couple, who, by taking somebody else's reservation at a restaurant, end up being chased, shot at and generally getting into trouble for something they know nothing about. And yes, (just in case you didn't see it coming) there are lots of jokes about the fact that taking somebody elses reservation is an awful thing to do, even whilst getting shot at.

It turns out Date Night is actually quite a fun, if relatively mindless, screwball-type comedy - and Carrell helps, rather than hinders, the movie. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like the brilliantly funny screwball comedies of the 1930s, but if what you're after is a few laughs on a Saturday night, you could do worse than Date Night.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.