Robot and Frank

Monday 11th March 2013

Director: Jake Schreier
Year: 2013
Stars: Peter Saarsgaard, Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon, James Marsden, Liv Tyler

This was my first experience of baby cinema. Previously I'd been a little sceptical, as how can you truly watch a film when you have a baby with you? Well, on this occasion at least I was proved wrong. My baby boy slept in his carseat for the first 40 mins, then slept on me for the next 20 mins. The last 20 mins or so he played with my top and some toys, but let me watch the end of the movie. The only thing distracting me was me watching him enjoy himself! Here's hoping my little one grows up to be as much of a film fan as I am...

Luckily, the film itself was also quite good. I hadn't heard of Robot and Frank until the day before we went to see it, but at the time I figured "what does it matter? I'm not going to get to watch most of it anyway". The movie is about a man who is beginning to go senile, and a robot his son hires for him to help him cook and clean. Frank (Langella), however, has other ideas. He used to be a burglar, and decides to get the robot to help him with some new jobs instead. Sweet, funny and touching, this is a film you may not have heard of, but is worth a watch. Who knew baby cinema was a way to discover enjoyable film gems you'd never heard of?!

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.