Les Miserables

Tuesday 12th March 2013

Director: Matteo Garrone
Year: 2012
Stars: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Sacha Baren Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter, Eddie Redmayne, Samantha Barks, Aaron Tveit, Daniel Huttlestone

Well, what a disappointment this was. I had wanted to see Les Mis for ages, and as we were visiting Exeter, where the grandparents live, my other half and I took the opportunity to head off to the cinema whilst nana and grandad babysat (they had a nightmare afternoon, but that's another story and all the baby's fault).

Where do I start with the problems with this movie? Now, usually I love musicals, so don't believe for a second that I'm prejudiced against them. But here, I really did get sick of the singing. Can't they just, well, TALK some of the lines? Just a few? And what's with hiring lead actors that can't sing? Yes, Hugh Jackman (Valjean) and Russell Crowe (Javert), I mean you. The two lead actors were just well, annoying. Their endings were, quite frankly, deserved. And did this really have to be 3 hours long? The stage play can manage 2 to 2 and a half, why not the movie? And what's with the Cosette (Siegfried) character? Boy, is she annoying. And staging her surrounded by Disneyworld flowers and cottages does not help.

Having said that, there were some redeeming moments to the movie. A number of the female leads were brilliant singers - I'm thinking of Anne Hathaway (Fantine) and Samantha Barks (Eponine) in particular. And I also enjoyed the inn keeper scenes tremendously. If only the movie had just been about Thenardier (Baren Cohen) and Madam Thenardier (Bonham Carter), I would have been so much happier. Now there's a movie I would have loved!

Rating: 2 out of 5 (and those stars are almost all for the actresses mentioned above)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.