Down with Love

Friday 15th March 2013

Director: Peyton Reed
Year: 2003
Stars: Ewan McGregor, Renee Zellweger, Sarah Paulson, David Hyde Pierce

I've seen this before, and quite enjoyed it first time around. What I had forgotten was quite how mental it is. We put it on really as background fare on TV, and got so distracted by it we ended up watching the whole thing. Mad, colourful and FAST, Down with Love is insane, but also very enjoyable.

Set in New York in 1962, Catcher Block, a chauvinistic male journalist (McGregor) is on a mission to get Barbara Novak (Zellweger), a feminist author, to fall in love with him - just to prove a point. Very much a hark back to the zany screwball comedies of the 1930s and 1940s, this does a great job, but updates it admirably at the same time. This one really cheered up my Friday evening!

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.