Gomorrah: Film #171 of Film 365

Friday 10th August 2012

Director: Matteo Garrone
Year: 2008
Stars: Salvatore Abruzzese, Simone Sacchettino, Francesco Pirozzi, Vincenzo Caso, Anna Sarnelli, Ginafelice Imparato, Toni Servillo

So far, this is the only movie I've managed to watch all month - and it's taken me 10 days to blog about it. Disappointingly, it also wasn't very good. Now I'm on maternity leave and have a bit (well, quite a lot) more spare time I'll have to find some movies I've heard are good to try and make sure August isn't totally wasted! I have to admit, I'm not even entirely sure why this movie got recorded - it's an Italian movie (although it took us a while to figure that out; at points they are definitely speaking French, and sometimes such colloquial Italian I couldn't make out a single word) that I had never really heard of. It must have sounded interesting in the TV guide!

The movie follows five different story strands, all in some way (some more loosely than others) connected to the Italian mob. I have to admit that, ten days later, I probably couldn't tell you what all five story strands are. However, the stories themselves aren't (generally) that bad. The problem came, for me, in trying to understand why they were all in the same movie. I spent the entire movie waiting for the "oh! That's what connects them all!" moment, and it just didn't come.

Yes, all the stories do (tenuously) have the mob connecting them. But beyond that, I don't really understand why Gomorrah isn't five different movies. Or, alternatively, focuses on one of the stories in much more detail. There was clearly enough thought put into each story strand so that this could have worked. Not a bad movie in places, but somehow fails to join the pieces together successfully.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.