Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: Film #166 of Film 365

Thursday 12th July 2012

Director: David Yates
Year: 2009
Stars: Daniel Radcliffe, Michael Gambon, Jom Broadbent, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Bonnie Wright, Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter

We recorded this back on New Years Day, when it was being shown on TV. We did half watch it then, at a friend's house. Having seen it before, I was vaguely aware of what was happening. But having re-watched the rest of the series when they were shown on TV earlier in 2011, I was keen to do the same with the sixth Harry Potter movie. The reason it took so long to get around to doing so was that the movie is nearly 2 and a half hours long - and finding that much time to spare at the moment is no easy task!

I'm glad we finally did find the time though. There's a lot about the sixth movie (and, for that matter, the sixth story) that I didn't really remember. I hadn't forgotten the ending or the broad plot, but most of the details had escaped me. This time round it's (as always) darker than before, with Voldemort (Fiennes) being a very clear, looming threat. Having said that, the story isn't as grand as Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. The focus is firmly back on Harry (Radcliffe), Ron (Grint) and Hermione (Watson) and their relationships - albeit with Harry doing his utmost to help Professor Dumbledore (Gambon) fight back against the Dark Lord.

If you don't like, haven't read the books, or haven't seen the preceeding Harry Potter movies, this probably isn't going to make much sense. But then if that's the case you're probably not planning on watching this anyway. If you are, and have no specific objection to the story, then you'll probably enjoy this. For me, my favourite scenes are those (and there aren't many) between Bellatrix (Bonham Carter) and Snape (Rickman). My only complaint is that there aren't more of them. Thankfully, this improves in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.