Adulthood: Film #167 of Film 365

Friday 13th July 2012

Director: Noel Clarke
Year: 2008
Stars: Noel Clarke, Scarlett Alice Johnsson, Adam Deacon, Jacob Anderson, Ben Drew, Femi Oyeniran

Having previously watched Kidhulthood, I had pretty high hopes for Adulthood. Unfortunately, it didn't really live up to them. I'm willing to confess that whilst I remember Kidulthood was good, I don't remember the plot that well. Which probably didn't help when watching Adulthood, as it's very definitely a continuation of the same story - albeit set 6 years later.

In Adulthood, (Clarke) has just been released from jail. He just wants to get on with his life, but there are lots of people looking for revenge. So he has to, somehow, deal with this before he can move on. The idea behind Adulthood is fine, but it all feels very moralistic. Characters are painted with broad brush strokes, and seem to be there simply to get a point across. There are very few times when it feels as if a character has a reason for their actions - they are simply there to move the story forward.

Watchable, but very dissapointing after Kidulthood. At times I really found myself wanting to be watching Attack the Block instead.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.