Race to Witch Mountain: Film #168 of Film 365

Wednesday 18th July 2012

Director: Andy Fickman
Year: 2009
Stars: Dwayne Johnson, AnnaSophia Robb, Alexander Ludwig, Carla Gugino, Ciaran Hinds

We currently have 500 Days of Summer, 127 Hours and a bunch of other fairly well regarded movies waiting to be watched. So hubby decided that he'd like to watch Race to Witch Mountain - you know, that well known family fantasy movie starring The Rock (the WWE wrestler turned actor). You mean you haven't heard of it? Or if you have, you'd probably choose to watch a Danny Boyle movie over it? Not us, apparently.

In fairness, Race to Witch Mountain isn't that bad - if you know what to expect. A couple of kids appear in Jack Bruno's (Johnson) cab, and need his help to be protected from the evil US government and get back to their spaceship (yep, you read that right). Cue lots of racing around in a taxi, Johnson beating up the bad guys and general (thankfully, fast paced) action. It's saving grace it's probably it's length- this is a family film, and as such, stays short enough to appeal to the kids. I can handle a tight 1 1/2 hour plot (even if it does have some obvious flaws) - I get more fed up when running times for movies like this go over the 2 hour mark.

If you want an action adventure movie squarely aimed at kids, you probably won't mind this. Otherwise, I hear 127 Hours is quite good. Although I can't say for sure; I still haven't watched it...

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.