The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!: Film #148 of Film 365

Saturday 31st March 2012

Director: Peter Lord, Jeff Newitt
Year: 2012
Stars: Hugh Grant, David Tennant, Imelda Staunton, Martin Freeman, Ashley Jensen, Russell Tovey, Brendan Gleeson, Jermey Piven, Salma Hayek (voices)

Dan had been keen to watch this since he first saw the trailer for it (something to do with the Aardman/ pirates/ scientists combination I think), and I certainly didn't have any objections. The trailer made it look like a traditional, fun Aardman movie - something we've certainly enjoyed in the past.

Pirates! tells the tale of the Pirate Captain, a pirate who wants to win Pirate of the Year. The plot therefore, obviously, involves Darwin, a dodo and the Annual Science Awards.

The movie has plenty of enjoyable gags, both of the visual and narrative kind. I even found the stereotypical librarian joke mostly amusing, rather than offensive. Unfortunately, somehow Pirates! doesn't equal the sum of its parts. Whilst individual scenes/ lines/ moments are memorable, the film as a whole falls down. Perhaps it's the too-straight narrative (there are no puss-in-boots-Shrek type jokes here), or maybe it was just too-high expectations on our part.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.