Nowhere Boy: Film #147 of Film 365

Wednesday 28th March 2012

Director: Sam Taylor-Wood
Year: 2009
Stars: Aaron Johnson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Anne-Marie Duff

Another movie that I've been meaning to watch for some time, but hadn't quite got around to yet. I had hopes that Nowhere Boy would be pretty good, as it had been recommended by a friend when it was first released.

Nowhere Boy tells the tale of John Lennon before he became famous, focusing on his relationship with his aunt and his mother. It's not something I knew very much about, never having been an especially big John Lennon fan.

However, it's an enjoyable, interesting film - and the fact that it's about John Lennon is, in some ways, irrelevant. Nowhere Boy is primarily about people's relationships, and how they are never as simple as we would like them to be. Thankfully, whether or not you are a John Lennon fan doesn't really matter - although you are, of course, more likely to know the details of this story already if you are a fan.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.