Max Payne: Film #139 of Film 365

Wednesday 17th February 2012

Director: John Moore
Year: 2008
Stars: Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Beau Bridges, Ludacris, Chris O'Donnell

Before watching this, I didn’t realise that it was an adaptation of a video game. Upon hearing this, my immediate reaction was “so when are the stupid black creatures that live in tunnels going to appear?”. Five minutes later, stupid black creatures appeared in a tunnel. This is perhaps a little harsh – Max Payne isn’t as bad as a lot of video game adaptations out there. If you’re willing to take it all at face value (and, admittedly, ignore a number of minor plot holes) it’s a fairly enjoyable Friday night movie – even if I was watching it on a Wednesday.

The basic premise is that Max Payne’s wife and child were killed about 3 years ago, and he is still trying to find out who was behind the attack. Unsurprisingly, by the end of the movie he has the answer. And that’s pretty much it – other than the message that guns are cool (seriously, watching the closing credits. Guns aren’t this cool even in most video games). If you watch it, it’s probably best to be prepared for a video game adaptation movie. Then you won’t be disappointed – you might even be pleasantly surprised.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.