A Fistful of Dollars: Film #140 of Film 365

Sunday 19th February 2012

Director: Sergio Leone
Year: 1964
Stars: Clint Eastwood, Marianne Koch, Gian Maria Volonte, Wolfgang Lukschy, Sieghardt Rupp

Having watched Pale Rider, an ‘80s cowboy movie starring and directed by Clint Eastwood, in the not-too-distant past, I was quite keen to watch A Fistful of Dollars. It’s one of Sergio Leone’s– and Clint Eastwood’s- more famous Western movies from the ‘60s, and I was expecting to quite enjoy it.

Like many Clint cowboy movies, Eastwood plays something of a loner who turns up in a town and causes havoc. Unlike Preacher (Eastwood's role in Pale Rider), he’s not a complete hero here – more of an anti-hero. Joe (Eastwood) is essentially a good guy (he helps a family escape the law of the town), but (and if you know anything about Westerns this shouldn’t come as much of a surprise) most people end up dead- and this is mostly due to Joe.

A Fistful of Dollars didn’t really feel like it had anything new or innovative in it. In fairness, this might be due to the fact that it is a movie from the ‘60s, and there have been a lot of copy-cat movies since. But for me, it all just felt a little, well, ordinary.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.