Into the Wild: Film # 137 of Film 365

Friday 10th February 2012

Director: Sean Penn
Year: 2007
Stars: Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt, Jena Malone, Vince Vaughn, Brian H. Dierker, Catherine Keener, Kristen Stewart, Hal Holbrook

Into the Wild was part of a TV premiere double bill on Film Four, showing on the same night as Far North. Both films focus on Alaska, or at least somewhere in the Arctic (in the case of Far North). They are also both what my family might define as "Annie movies" - that is to say, movies that can be rather slow, with a lot of cinematography and sparse dialogue. Far North displays a lot more of these traits than Into the Wild, but both movies have them. Beyond this though, the movies are very different.

However, I can understand why some people might struggle with Into the Wild. Part of me was expecting to as well, but it turned out that I ended up really enjoying the movie. I found the tale intriguing (even more so for it being a true story), and whilst there were a lot of scenery and landscape shots, to me they felt as if they added to the story and helped create the right atmosphere. Into the Wild is all about Chris McCandless (Hirsch), a 23-year old who goes on road trip across the US to find himself, and ends up planning to spend time alone in the wilderness in Alaska. It's an involving story with something interesting to say about human nature, and, in my opinion at least, worth making an effort to watch.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.