The Descendants: Film #136 of Film 365

Wednesday 8th February 2012

Director: Alexander Payne
Year: 2011
Stars: George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Amara Miller

Having seen some fairly convincing reviews and trailers for The Descendants, coupled with it being nominated for an Oscar or two and directed by Alexander Payne (director of Sideways, a movie I love), I was keen to see this movie. Dan was less convinced, the trailer maybe not having sold the film in the most convincing way.

Whilst The Descendants wasn't the movie Dan feared he would see, it also wasn't the movie either of us hoped we would see. In it, Clooney plays Matt King, a man whose wife ends up on life support after a boating accident. As if that wasn't enough to deal with, he also discovers that his wife was having an affair.

Don't get me wrong, The Descendants isn't a bad movie. But it's certainly not George Clooney's best, and my reaction to it was a simple "good". It's a perfectly watchable film, and I merrily whiled away two hours watching it, but it is not, and shouldn't be, competition for the likes of The Artist or Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.