Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning: Film #141 of Film 365

Wednesday 22nd February 2012

Director: Grant Harvey
Year: 2004
Stars: Katharine Isabelle, Elizabeth Perkins, Nathaniel Arcand, JR Bourne, Hugh Dillon, Adrien Dorval

I'd been putting off watching this for a while, as it felt like just another horror movie. I knew that might be unfair, because I really enjoyed the original Ginger Snaps, and Ginger Snaps: Unleashed wasn't bad either. Anyway, I was reaching the end of my November movies to watch (slightly long story, but I'm watching movies month by month in an attempt to get them watched- and not have too much choice!), so the choice was between this and Thirst- a Korean vampire movie. Which I'm also intrigued by, but keep getting put off because I don't want to have to read subtitles when eating my dinner (which is when I seem to end up watching movies at the moment).

It turns out that Ginger Snaps Back is actually a pretty enjoyable horror movie. It's short, concise and to the point. It's not a jump-out-your-seat scary horror movie (see The Woman in Black for that), but it does do what it aims to rather effectively. The basic story is that two sisters end up in the middle of nowhere of Canada, in a fort looked after by a group of men who are acting, to put it mildly, rather oddly. It doesn't take long to realise that this all has something to do with werewolves.

There perhaps aren't many surprises here - most of them are actually spelt out for you and explained before they happen. But it's still a far more intelligent movie than many, many horror movies out there.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.