The Woman in Black: Film #142 of Film 365

Thursday 23rd February 2012

Director: James Watkins
Year: 2012
Stars: Daniel Radcliffe, Ciaran Hinds, Janet McTeer, Liz White

When we were going to the cinema, we couldn't decide whether to watch this or The Muppets. I half wish we'd chosen The Muppets, although I knew I wanted to see this more. And that's not because The Woman in Black is a bad film - in the words of some girls leaving the cinema, it's truly terrifying. It's just because I don't know if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight.

If you've read the Susan Hill novel this is based on, or seen the play in London's West End (I've done both and can't recommend either highly enough), you'll know what the basic premise of this story is. The story has been changed from the original - which, for the most part, I didn't mind. It's only the ending I have some issues with- and that's partly because I love the original ending so much.

If you love ghost stories, you will love this. It's definitely a slow burner - the scares don't come thick and fast, but when they do come you'll be very, very scared. There aren't a lot of jumps, but when they come, they'll get you. And you won't once think of Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter. He embodies Arthur Kipps perfectly. I can now recommend the movie (almost) as highly as the book and the play- as long as you don't mind a massive scare or two.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.