Elizabeth: The Golden Age: Film #123 of Film 365

Friday 13th January 2012

Director: Shekhar Kapur
Year: 2007
Stars: Cate Blanchett, Clive Owen, Geoffrey Rush, Abbie Cornish, Samantha Morton, Rhys Ifans

Some time ago now I did watch Elizabeth, the prequel to this movie. I have to admit that I can't remember much about it - I think it was OK, but nothing spectacular. I guess you could say something very similar about this movie. There's nothing wrong with it, but it fits happily into that "movies about British Kings and Queens that don't quite stay true to history" niche.

This time around, Elizabeth (Blanchett) has grown up a little and is trying to stop the Spanish from beating England with their Spanish Armada. She's got Sir Francis Drake to advise her and Sir Walter Raleigh to woo her.

All the actors do a pretty good job of playing their roles exactly as they're meant to, so it's a fun enough movie to watch. Even Cate Blanchett does a pretty good job with Elizabeth, and I've never been her biggest fan. Elizabeth: The Golden Age isn't really anything to get excited about it, but it's a fun enough movie for a Friday night.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.