Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby: Film # 124 of Film 365

Sunday 15th January 2012

Director: Adam McKay
Year: 2006
Stars: Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Leslie Bibb, Amy Adams, Jane Lynch, Gary Cole

This is a silly movie. I don't mean that in a negative way - it's just a movie that manages to be funny by being very silly. Given that that is clearly its intention, this works pretty well. Talladega Nights starts out stupid, gets dafter and ends on a silly note. And I really enjoyed all this silliness.

Ricky Bobby (Ferrell) has always dreamed of driving fast cars. He gets his wish when he has a chance to contend in a motor race, and wins. However, as the movie continues, life gets harder for Ricky Bobby and he struggles to maintain his winning streak.

Being that this is a silly movie, sometimes it oversteps the mark - some scenes that are clearly meant to be funny just don't feel quite right. But on the whole, it gets the comedy bang-on, and had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. It also had me muttering "that's just stupid" quite a lot - but in a good way.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.