Vicky Cristina Barcelona: Film #122 of Film 365

Thursday 12th January 2012

Director: Woody Allen
Year: 2008
Stars: Scarlett Johansson, Rebecca Hall, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Patricia Clarkson

I admit it - I've never been a massive Woody Allen fan. I don't mind some of his movies, but I just don't understand the love some critics have for his earlier efforts. I'm generally willing to give his newer movies a chance though, as they bother me a little less. Sometimes I even come close to enjoying them.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona, thankfully, falls into this latter category. Hall and Johansson play Vicky and Cristina respectively, and they both do a great job of playing Woody Allen between them. Because Woody Allen always stars in the movies he directs, even when he's not in them.

The movie is acceptable up until the time Vicky and Cristina meet Juan Antonio (Bardem), but more specifically, when Maria Elena (Cruz) appears. Again, I've never been a massive Penelope Cruz fan, but she's great in this. At least she is when she's being neurotic. Her character was great fun to watch and really made the movie for me. Without her, it would have been standard Woody Allen fare. With her, I could almost say I really enjoyed Vicky Cristina Barcelona. The only problem is that she wasn't in it quite enough.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.