Adventureland: Film #120 of Film 365

Sunday 8th January 2012

Director: Greg Mottola
Year: 2009
Stars: Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Ryan Reynolds, Matt Bush, Bill Hader

I didn't really know what to make of this when I watched it - and I still don't. It got a really good review in the TV guide I was reading, and from memory got pretty good reviews when it was released as well. And lots of Adventureland is really good - it's a very good observational piece, and captures a lot of issues 17-year-olds face (if I can remember them, that is) really well. Things like the monotony of dull summer jobs, never quite knowing enough about the opposite sex, and thinking you know everything about other things in life.

There are two things I was less keen on. Firstly, nothing much really happens in Adventureland. It's all about a summer in the life of a 17 year old. I guess nothing much necessarily happens in the summer of the life of a 17 year old, so maybe that's OK. It certainly fits the tone of the movie, and could work far less well if there was a convoluted plot.

The other thing that bothered me was Kristen Stewart. She plays the part she's been given perfectly well- but the problem is, it doesn't seem like she's acting. It feels like she's just being herself. The way she portrays the role is just too close to how she is in the Twilight movies, and how she appears in interviews. I found it distracting, even if it is what the role called for.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.