Not a film review...

... but a book review.

It's rare that I read books about movies. Firstly, because it reminds me too much of studying for my undergraduate media and cultural studies degree, which, whilst fun, required me to read a lot of books about movies - and they were often really rather dry. Secondly, when I read a book I tend to want a good story and a reason to relax, so I'll almost always choose fiction before fact.

However, having read some very positive reviews of Mark Kermode's "The Good, The Bad and the Multiplex: Whats' Wrong with Modern Movies?", knowing I enjoyed his radio show and TV appearances generally, and tittering away to myself when picking up the book in a book store and reading a random segment, I thought I'd give it a go, and put it on my Christmas list.

And what a good Christmas present it turned out to be. It only took me a few days to read the book, but that's because I was enjoying it so much. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with everything the author says - regardless, I learnt a lot. And thought a lot. And definitely laughed a lot.

A book that's worth every penny, and a joy to read. If you love movies, read this book. I'm now tempted to go out and hunt down his first one.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.