October Sky: Film #101 of Film 365

Saturday 17th December 2011

Director: Joe Johnston
Year: 1999
Stars: Jake Gyllenhaal, Chris Cooper, Laura Dern, Chris Owen

This is a movie I knew very little about, and wasn't really expecting to watch. We were at a friend's house and she presented us with a random selection of DVDs to watch. None of them jumped out at me, but none were things I didn't want to watch. So after some trusty "umming" and "ahhing" we went with October Sky.

I didn't realise it until the end of the movie, but October Sky is the true story of Homer Hickham (Gyllenhaal), a boy who wants to send a rocket into space. It's fairly easy to guess where this film is going, but it does it in good old '60s style, and brings to mind other greats about that period - for me, Stand by Me sprang straight to mind.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.