Hairspray: Film #109 of Fim 365

Wednesday 28th December 2011

Director: Adam Shankman
Year: 2007
Stars: John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Zac Efron, James Marsden, Amanda Bynes, Brittany Snow, Elijah Kelley

I've seen this before. I loved it then, so was more than happy to watch it again. It's just such a cheerful film, with some great songs. The perfect movie to give me a warm, happy feeling inside.

Hairspray is set in Baltimore in the early '60s. Tracy Turnblad is a fat teenager who is really keen to dance on the Corny Collins TV show - but faces prejudice from the show's producer. Whilst Tracy has to contend with prejudice about her size, many of her new found friends are black. This means a lot more prejudice, and a major challenge to try and get her friends a decent TV slot on the same show.

Of course, the ending is too simple and easy for a realistic portrayal of racism and its associated issues - but this is meant to be a fun, happy musical. And it achieves that aim admirably.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.