October 2011 films

Oh dear. This is bad. Even worse than September. And it's taken me half a month to get round to writing the monthly review too, so November isn't going to be any better. I can't even tell you what else I've been up to, because I'm really not sure. But clearly not watching movies.

Ah well, here's what I have watched:
  • The Dark (2005) -2.5 stars
  • Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006) - 3 stars
  • Eclipse (2010) - 3.5 stars
  • New Moon (2009) - 4 stars
  • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - 1.5 stars
  • Orphan (2009) - 3.5 stars
  • Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009) - 3 stars
  • Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - 2.5 stars

I guess there's a clue here as to why I've not been overly keen on watching lots of movies this month. Almost everything I've seen has been, well, mediocre. Thinking back, my opinion on all these movies has pretty much remained the same too. October was just a fairly average movie month.

Film of the Month is easy. New Moon wins. And yes, that's probably got a lot to do with the fact that I love the Twilight saga. For many people, New Moon may well be just as average as anything else on this list. But I've already watched it twice, so clearly I like it.

Considering the glut of average movies, Film not to waste your time on is actually pretty easy too. I have massive problems with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I've spoken to other people who enjoyed it, but I just didn't. There were plot holes that made no sense - although you could say something similar about Eclipse if you've not read the Twilight books I guess. As I said in my review, maybe I just needed to have been alive in the '70s and seen the TV series. But I wasn't, and this film made no sense to me.

And I'm sure you'll be unsurprised to know that my Film 365 project is going, well, awfully. Maybe a week or two off over Christmas can start to put things right? Maybe, but not definitely... anyway, I've watched 86 (23%) of 365 movies. I should be on 233 (64%). Maybe it's just funny now and I should give up. Or call it Project 365x3?

Film of the Month: New Moon
Film not to waste your time on: Tinker Tailor Solider Spy

No. of Film 365 watched: 86/365
Target no. of Film 365 films to have watched: 233/365

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.