The Dark: Film #86 of Film 365

Monday 31st October 2011

Director: John Fawcett
Year: 2005
Stars: Maria Bello, Sean Bean, Sophie Stuckey, Abigail Stone

As it was Halloween, watching a horror movie seemed appropriate. We had plenty to choose from (most of them recorded over a year ago), and this seemed to be one of the more interesting things on offer. The Dark is a British movie, set in Wales and playing on Welsh mythology.

In truth, The Dark is more of a psychological thriller than a horror. That's not to say it doesn't have its horrific moments, but it's not really a "jump-in-the-dark" horror movie. The movie starts off well, and seems to have a story to tell. Adelle's (Bello) daughter vanishes, and a child appears in her place. Adelle spends the rest of the movie trying to figure out what has happened to her daughter.

Not all the plot lines take the obvious route, but at times this hinders rather than helps the narrative. The ending is confusing, and a number of plot details were left totally unexplained. I spent some time reading reviews online, and it seems that everybody else was just as confused as I was - or at least in total disagreement about what had actually happened. I wander if the ending is clear in the director's mind?

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.