New World: Film #91 of Film 365

Sunday 13th November 2011

Director: Terrence Malick
Year: 2005
Stars: Colin Farrell, Q'orianka Kilcher, Christian Bale, Christopher Plummer, August Schellenberg

I was intending upon watching Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs this evening. But after 5 minutes I realised I'd already seen it, and it wasn't that great first time round. So, with a few free hours, we started to watch New World - a movie I recorded some time ago. I have to admit I'm not entirely sure why, as I knew very little about the movie. I was pretty sure it had something to do with the colonisation of America.

I wasn't wrong about that. New World is a drama about Captain Smith (Farrell), an explorer who comes to America in the 1600s with English settlers, an, after spending time with the native Americans, falls in love with Pocahontas (Kilcher).

Anybody familiar with other Malick movies will know pretty much what to expect from this. It's not a bad movie, but it's also not a fast one. As with many Malick movies, much of the focus is on how things look, and using this to set the scene. It doesn't detract from the story, but it's not for you if you enjoy fast-paced action movies.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.